- Half a gallon of milk (you can use whole, 2% or skimmed - the more fat content the creamier the yogurt - so it is your choice)
- 8 oz yogurt starter ( For your first batch you need a small plain yogurt, after that you can use 8 oz of your own home made one)
- Heavy bottom pan - big enough to hold half a gallon of milk
- Food thermometer (you can do it without but it is more risky)
- 5 pint mason jars (or any other glass containers - mayo jars work great)
- An ice cooler - yeap! the same one you use for picnics and drinks during the summer
Sterilize your mason jars and lids (put them in a big pan and cover with cold water, put on stove on high and wait until it reaches a rolling boil - boil for 10 minutes. Turn off and leave in hot water, covered until needed)
The next morning open the cooler (the water will still be warm) and remove your yogurt jars and put them in the fridge - they will keep for 2 months. If you do the 3 hours, please check one jar to make sure the yogurt has hardened, if not, return to the cooler and leave for another hour - try it again.
Do not eat your small 8 oz jar - (or half pint jar) it will be your starter for the next time!!!
Enjoy!!! and please let me know how it worked for you.
|My girl's parfait|