Sunday, June 19, 2011

Garden Update: All vegetables are in - Now we wait!!!

Right side beds

Left side beds

I think I have finally finished planting all the vegetables I wanted for this season. I have also finished  mulching too. Hurray!!!! Now I just need to keep watering, and weeding and the best of all: HARVESTING!!!!!

I just wanted to give you a quick update in case you were wondering how the garden beds are doing.

On the right side vegetables beds we have:

Zucchinis
 The zucchinis are growing, I have already attached the first set of leaves to the pole as I am trying to grow them vertically and hopefully save some space


Tomatoes
 The tomatoes are big, I have attached at least 3 sets of stems to the net. I can see some small flower buds on the cherry variety already. I have been removing the suckers (little branches that grow in between the main stem and the leaves - they take energy away from the fruit so they need to be removed frequently)


Tomato sucker

Cucumbers
 The cucumbers are still small and have not reached the net yet - but not long to go!

Sweet Potatoes
The experiment sweet potatoes are doing good - I think I am going to need to build them a support - they seem to like to climb

Corn
 These are the corn I started inside. I planted a few more outside but they did not take. I will try again - NEVER give up!!!

Some Herbs
 I have planted Oregano, thyme and basil all over the place. Yummy!

On the left side vegetable beds we have:


Potatoes
 The potatoes are awesome. I have added 3 tires each and I will not be adding anymore. The front one has a big tire at the top (I should have start with that at the bottom) but I only thought they will grow big enough for 2 tires. However it looks like I could even put tire # 4 (but I ran out of tires)

Broccoli and more Zucchini
I have already harvested ton of broccoli, including the first 4 big heads and quite a lot of sides shoots. The next 4 plants are still small.

I also have here 2 zucchinis that are doing well and a whole bunch of green onions and garlic. The garlic is getting ready to harvest! I can't wait.


Red Onions and Beets
The red onions are doing good, although I think I planted a few too deep as I do not see the bulb yet. I have been eating the beets leaves in my salads for a while now, but no root yet. I am in no hurry as I really do not like beets much, I like the leaves though.
Strawberries and Beets
The strawberries only gave me like 1 or 2 fruit in June, which I left to the birds. It was expected as I did transplant them this year. Next season they will be good to me - I just know it!

The peas are so gorgeous, I have taken a handful of pods twice. They are so sweet and tender, I quickly steamed them and ate them with butter.


Onions, Peppers and Eggplants
I have here some yellow onions that are doing good, some peppers and some eggplant that are still small and a wild tomato plant that sprouted all by herself in the middle there. I have not had the heart to take it out. I will move it eventually.


More Tomatoes
These are different tomatoes, not as big yet.
Green: Lettuce, Arugula, Spinach, Cabbage
And finally the greens, which has been supplying me with fresh salad everyday for at least a month now.  LOVE IT!!!!

So there you have, a quick update of my little vegetable beds. Not bad for such a small space. How is your garden doing?

3 comments:

Shirley Yissele. said...

Me encanta tu trabajo! pronto tendre espacio, seguire tus pasos y tus recomendaciones porque me encantan las plantas!
Namaste!

http://mamiholisticaygenial.blogspot.com/

Mommy Is Green said...

I'm so jealous you have an organic garden! It's something I'd like to do too. Right now I don't have a big enough yard. Hopefully in the future! :)

Party Artist said...

@Mommy is Green - Don't be jealous! it is truly quite easy and you just need a litte space, you can start with only4 or 6 square feet - that will give you enough space for the following plants: 1 tomato, 1 pepper, 1 cucumber, a few lettuces and onions - There is your salad for the summer! If you follow my 101 series you will see how easy it is. Happy to answer any questions!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...