And do you know why you are having a day off? how and when did all these celebrations started?
Here are some quick points:
- First labor day was celebrated on September 5th, 1882
- It was officially pronounced a holiday on 1894 after the death of some workers by US Marshalls during the Pullman Strike.
- The first labor day proposal asked for it to be: A street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations," followed by a festival for the workers and their families.
- Today it is celebrated across the whole of the US.
- For many it represents the end of the summer (hard to believe when it is still 96F outside!!)
- It is the last day in where it is fashionable for a woman to wear white!
- It marks my wedding anniversary celebration week ( Yes a week!! we know....)
What do you do on Labor Day?