If you ask my kids what would they like for dinner, 7 out 10 times you will hear the same answer: Mami Mac & Cheese. They just absolutely love it and I do too as it is so easy to make.
Unlike the artificial power thing the Kraft makes, Mami Mac & Cheese is a healthier and believe me, a so much more delicious version of these great American comfort dish. What I like about it is that I can make it with whatever stuff I have handy, always with the same delicious results. Like for example today I did not have broccoli nor ham so I did it with just cheese!
So why is it healthier? Well because I make it with whole wheat pasta, a vegetable (broccoli), real cheese and a protein, so it is a complete fresh meal. Far away from the powder in a box!
Ingredients: Please note this is a "Use what you have in the pantry" recipe
- Whole wheat pasta: you can use any shape or form you like - Macaroni, shells or spaghetti work great! if you do not like whole wheat, use regular pasta
- Organic milk
- Broccoli - chopped in small pieces
- Ham or any other protein you have. Bacon goes well, so does turkey slices.
- Cheeses: A combination of whatever you have, I always use Cheddar, Swiss, American and Parmesan as they are staple in my house, but if I have it you can also add ricotta, cream cheese, mozzarella.
- Knorr chicken bouillon
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- If you are serving it to adults - a few drops of Black Truffle oil makes it extraordinary!
I normally cook about 2 fists of dry pasta per person. Boil the pasta and the chopped broccoli together until the pasta is al dente (see pack for instructions). Drain the pasta and broccoli and put back in the pan. Return to heat and add a little milk, just enough so you can see it under the pasta (if your pasta is swimming in it - it is too much!). Add about 1/4 teaspoon of chicken bouillon for every person. Then add the chopped protein (ham) and all the cheeses (cut as small as possible). Stir it all in and keep stirring until all the cheese melts. Sprinkle some freshly ground nutmeg. Taste it for salt, add some if needed. You are done! easy ha?
If you want, after you plate it in a nice bowl, add a few drops of black truffle oil!! yummy!!
Now if you are wondering what are the other 3 dishes that my kids will ask for when not asking for Mac & Cheese, I will so tell you:
They ask dad for other things too...